We added a new friend to the family yesterday.
He’s a very active little betta, and we’ve named him Pad Thai, just Thai for short.
Moving on …
Last night, we were getting hungry and it was getting late, and I was sent by a still-working roommate on a frozen pizza run. I ended up at Central Market instead of our normal H-E-B . I started putting things in my basket the second I walked in and saw that blackberries were on sale, and by the time I got to the checkout, I had the makings of something far more interesting (and far more expensive) than a 99-cent Totino’s ever thought about being.
And 25 minutes after I got home, we sat down to what he called “one of the best meals you’ve made in a long time.” (I think his short-term memory had already forgotten about the “world’s fluffiest banana-pecan pancakes” from the weekend before, but I let it slide because it was a nice thing to say.) It was just pizza and salad, but it was terrific.
- Fresh, premade pizza crust (Central Market’s crusts are fluffy, ultra-fresh and lightly seasoned with garlic and rosemary, so this was no Boboli)
- Olive oil
- Whole-milk mozzarella
- Bulgarian sheep’s milk feta
- Yellow grape tomatoes (‘sunbursts’)
- Gala apple
- Orange blossom honey
- Spinach leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush top and bottom of crust with olive oil.
- Shred mozzarella and sprinkle on pizza. Crumble a small amount of feta and sprinkle on top.
- Bake on top rack of oven for 5 minutes.
- While baking, quarter tomatoes and slice apple very thinly. You’ll only need about a third to a fourth of the apple. Toss with a squirt of honey to gently coat.
- Remove pizza from oven and top with tomatoes, apple slices and spinach leaves, and grind pepper over to taste. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and/or a very small amount of honey, if desired.
- Return to oven for another five to six minutes or until crust is golden brown and spinach starts to wilt. While that’s baking, make your salad.
Savory Fruit Salad
Tweak quantities as desired, of course. This was good split between 2 people as a side salad.
- 2 loose cups spinach leaves
- Blackberries, halved or whole, about 8
- Thinly sliced apple (1/3-1/2 of apple)
- 2 Tbsp. diced pecans
- 2 Tbsp. dried cranberries
- Halved yellow tomatoes. about 8
- Pinch of crumbled feta on top
- Dressing: 2 parts olive oil to one part each balsamic vinegar and orange blossom honey, plus salt and pepper.